Thursday, August 27, 2015

Fig of the week.#8 Unkown Lake Spur Arkansas fig

It's amazing the power of figs. It's amazing how it can capture your imagination, and the spell it can cast over it's admirers. If it wanted to, it can travel clear across the world.  That's because figs are so easy to transport.  You never have to leave it behind. A simple cutting can make it's way to just about anywhere in the world.

How can something so good grow so easily? I've seen it grown in water, sand, beaches, and cracks in the side walk.  Usually rare gems come at a high cost. I think the allure of figs is that it is a gem that makes itself available to all of us.

I too find myself completely enchanted by this mystical fruit. Maybe it's because figs have a history almost as long as our civilized society. In an article in the June 2, 2006 issue of Science magazine, a research team led by Mordechai Kislev at Bar-Ilan University in Israel reports evidence for parthenocarpic figs from six sites in the greater Mediterranean Sea region dated between 11,700 and 10,500 years ago.

Or the fact that there are thousands of varieties figs. Some better than others. Some more rare than others, and some more strange than others (like the D'all osso fig). As a collector, it's easy to become obsessed with attaining them all (well at least the tasty ones).

I think for this season I've collected almost everything on my wishlist. However for some reason or another my wishlist seems to never shrink. LOL. It's my yearning to always want more. I've ordered plants from all over the US. Including some from Europe. I also canvas my towns looking for figs. I also go online to read about others who do the same.

 So whether I'm out around the city fig hunting or online fig hunting. I get truly excited when something mysterious and unknown comes about.

Which brings me to the Lake Spur unknown fig. I read about it from a forum member off of figs4fun named Charlie. He discovered it at a house near Lake Spur in Arkansas and took some cuttings to which he generously shared with many forums. The fruit is a dark green and the interior looks juicy and sweet. I can't wait to grow this beauty.

Photos originally from Charlie.
http://figsfortsmith.blogspot.com/2015/08/unknown-fig-varieties-around-fort-smith.html






My new Lake Spur known fig, just unpackaged and sitting on my desk.

Here's the plant in it's new home.


This is a video about the Lake Spur fig, from another member who originally received a cutting from Charlie.


1 comment: