Monday, October 19, 2015

Fig Hunting in San Jose

I love the fun adventure with fig hunting. It's like treasure hunting but for fruit. I recently was in California for a week long vacation. And while in San Jose discovered a myriad of huge fig trees. The climate there is perfect for them. Just like the Mediterranean. It's late October and temperatures were still touching into the 90s.

My guess is that a majority of these trees are mission. But I was able to find some that exhibited traits like the petite negra and even one that looked similar to the Black Madeira. But that's just wishful thinking.

With permission from the owners they allowed me to trim a few branches to take home.










Here they are all potted up in the lasagna method for rooting. Hopefully they will do well.




No comments:

Post a Comment