Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Assessing the winter damage

I figured that with a greenhouse I would be able to move some of my less than hardy tropicals out of the house in the winter time and into the greenhouse. Well...  I was wrong. Not everything survived the winter. I did get some surprises though.



Dead list:
Cherimoya (Might have died from lack of water. I did not water any of the plants when they were in the greenhouse)
Longan
Papaya
Vietnamese Guava
Jacaranda
Barbados Cherry
June Plum
Sapote
Moringa
Cassabanana
Jamaican Cherry
Jack Fruit
Yellow Jaboticaba
Plumeria
Night Blooming Jasmine (Planted in ground)

Survived:
Jaboticaba
Hardy Banana

All of the figs did great.



Brought indoors and survived:
Young Cherimoya tree
White Sapote - Grown from seed
Noni - Grown from seed

Star Apple - Seed grown
Peruvian Cactus - thriving
Owari Satsuma

What I've learned. Unless I heat the greenhouse the tropicals will have to be stored in the garage or indoors. The Figs will do great in the greenhouse!


No comments:

Post a Comment