Monday, October 9, 2017

Fig Tasting: Black Madeira, Valle Negra, Pellegrino, Ronde De Bordeaux, Fiorone Di Ruvo, & Fake Black Madeira


October Fig Fest 2017

The beginning of October marks a great time for ripe Main Crop figs! One the plat today  Black Madeira, Valle Negra, Pellegrino, Ronde De Bordeaux, Fiorone Di Ruvo, & Fake Black Madeira.

I wish I could share it with you. Perhaps next year I can invite some fig folks to do a tasting.








Black Madeira Main Crop (10/04/17) 3yr old plant
Taste:  11/10
Sweetness: 8.5
Size: 4 (4.6 grams)
Productivity: 5
Total =  28.5

The Black Madeira fig should be known as the "King of Figs". It may not be the largest, most expensive, or rare" but it certainly is the Best all around fig in terms of taste, productivity and ripening schedule. It's in a league of it's own in terms of taste and sugar content. Perfectly sweet with such a rich lingering flavor.  I still fantasize about every bite.














Valle Negra Main Crop (10/04/17) 3yr old plant
Taste:  8
Sweetness: 8.5
Size: 3(25.6 grams)
Productivity:  2
Total = 21.5

This fig has a lot of qualities similar to the MVSB, The leave are somewhat different but the fruit has very similar qualities to the MVSB. Both, are very good figs. Another strawberry jam tasting fig with good sweetness and flavor. The skin has a nice texture to it giving it a nice bite.  Great tasting fig that's a keeper. 












Pellegrino Main Crop (10/04/17) 3yr old plant
Taste:  6.5
Sweetness: 6
Size:  5 (45.5 grams)
Productivity:  3
Total = 20.5

I believe I got this strain from Mario and not Vinny.

I was first attracted to this fig because of the size of it when it was first posted. I do have an affinity for large figs. The novelty of it is fun for me. Plus I keep coming up with various categories of figs to add to the collection. Like size, taste, color, region, rarity, etc...

This particular fig kinda reminds me of a Longue D'Aout. A long french fig. The taste is quite average but it doesn't help that I'm eating it along side so many great figs like the Black Madeira, Hmari, and RDB. I'm sure if I had eaten it by itself I'd score it higher. 

Still this is a great fig. I love the shape and beauty of it.











Ronde De Bordeaux Main Crop (10/04/17) 3yr old plant
Taste:  8
Sweetness: 7 
Size:  3 (24.4 grams)
Productivity:  2
Total = 20

This fig belongs in the top 10 of any Fig collection. It is cold hardy, tasty and reliable. I may have picked this guy a tad too early, so this particular one was at it's prime ripening stage. That's my fault. The RDB is a great fig to have!







Fiorone Di Ruvo Main Crop (10/04/17) 3yr old plant
Taste:  6.5
Sweetness: 5.5
Size:  7 (63 grams)
Productivity:  2
Total = 21

I'm very happy with the Fiorone Di Ruvo! It put's out huge brebas (mine dropped this year) and the main crop aint bad either. As with most large figs that taste is usually a bit more water down but this young tree is quite promising. I think it will only get better with age. Mine is grafted onto a Desert King. The fact that it ripens 2 crops and is so huge makes me fall in love with it. Like fine wine it will get better with age. 









Hmari Main Crop (10/04/17) 3yr old plant
Taste:  7
Sweetness: 8
Size:  3 (20.5 grams)
Productivity:  2
Total = 20

This Hmari is different from Bass's. His is green this is more of a purple black. I have been patiently waiting for these figs now for about 3yrs. And it doesn't fail to impress me. There so many qualities that this fig possesses that makes it a winner. 

It was green housed until August to give it more heat units then brought outdoors to ripen. I love the taste, the crackling skin, sweetness and flavor. So gorgeous.











Fake Black madeira Main Crop (10/04/17) 3yr old plant (Might be a Wuhan)
Taste:  1.5
Sweetness: 1
Size:  5 (47.4 grams)
Productivity:  1
Total = 8.5

So I was scammed on Amazon from Daniel Mitre who was selling Black Madeira Fig Cuttings. Apparently he got quite a few of us with his listings. Another grafted tree on a DK root stock. Clearly this fig is a not a Black Madeira. From the leaves to the brown yellow fruit. It reminds me of wuhan.

Everything about this fig was disppointing.









No comments:

Post a Comment