Friday, October 6, 2017

Fig Tasting: De La Gloria & Preto

Fig Tasting: De La Gloria & Preto

I love  this time of year. The end of September is my birthday and it's also when all the tasty figs ripen. Today I picked the Preto and De La Gloria fig main crop. Two figs that I have not tasted yet until this year.


De La Gloria Left  - Preto Right





De La Gloria Crop (9/20/17) 6Mo old plant
Taste:  5
Sweetness: 4
Size:  4 (39 grams)
Productivity:  5
Total =  18 too young of a plant to truly review

I actually bought this as a cutting from Harvey in march of this year. So for it to produce ripe fruit in 5 months from the time of rooting is quite impressive. It's also quite a heavy producer for such a young plant. 

Appearance wise, it is quite beautiful! Beautiful color and great bell shape.  The flavor though did not develop very much. I blame this on the greenhouse. I brought it into the greenhouse where there are lot of other ripening figs and probably rotting plant matter which release a lot of ethylene gas. 

The fig itself was a little bland and didn't exhibit the strawberry jamminess that I had hoped. I do have high hopes for this variety next year though. 










Preto Main Crop (9/20/17) 3yr old plant
Taste:  9
Sweetness: 8
Size:  5  (41grams)
Productivity: 4
Total =  26

The Preto has been compared to the Black Madeira by many. I tend to agree. They have similar ripening times, productive and a similar taste. I still think Black Madeira is the king of figs though. There's something about it that makes it stand out from the rest. 

 The Preto though is a close 2nd in terms of appearance and taste to the Black Madeira. I'd like to call it the "Little Brother" of the Black Madeira. Sorta like Casey Affleck.

Seriously though, it's a great fig with great strawberry jam flavor and lots of richness. If you like BMs you will also like Preto.







Watch the Video on Preto and De La Gloria figs below.



No comments:

Post a Comment